I think it is time that Republicans and Democrats join together to form a new political party: The Civility Party. Oh, we can still be partisan Republicans and Democrats, but just be polite. Don’t threaten, curse, bully, or act like a jerk. Have fun but realize that in politics as in love, all is fair.
This isn’t about getting along, just having some manners and some civility. It matters. I don’t care if you are a liberal or a conservative or a libertarian. You can still be partisan, take your cheap shots, but be civil about it and have some manner. You can be dirty about your politicking, just have some civility when you slime the other guy. Manners are important.
Ted Nugent is the perfect example of what happens when someone just loses it. It was stupid. Or, take the cheap shots about Obama and the dog meat. For heaven sakes, he was a little kid. He had no control over what was asked of him. To even criticize him over this is, well, a dirty cheap shot. I still think he was terribly abuses as a child. You see it in him every time he goes near someone he considers to be an authority figure. It’s really quite pathetic.
Certain conservatives use the fact that the liberals are nasty as their excuse for being like them. I go back to something my mother always told my sister and I. “If everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you do it to?”
I don’t know who started being nasty first. Frankly, I don’t give a rip. All I know is that it needs to quit, to cease, end, terminate, stop. And – it needs to cease, now. I will admit, I’m guilty of being nasty. I’ve tried to stop doing so, which is why you rarely see me write about the Obamas. If I can’t get by without really nasty cheap shots, then I’m trying to refrain from even discussing him.
Let’s face it, the Rush Limbaugh – Sandra Fluke thing was borderline. Looking back on it, I don’t think he should have called her a slut. She is a liberal, Democrat, political hack – prostituting her services for the “cause”. He probably should have referred to her as such.
It’s like the billionaires who are pouring money into Super PACs. If we’re honest, they’re little more than pimps, purchasing the services of good and decent men and women who must prostitute themselves to raise money for their campaigns. I am far more forgiving of the politicians than I am the pimp billionaires who are paying for access. It renders our entire political system fit only for the ultra rich. We the Little People no longer have a voice.
You see it on the blogs, the comments, on Twitter. If you dare speak out against a candidate, you are putting yourself in a position to be criticized, bullied, and harassed by people you’ve never met and never will met. The anonymity of the Internet has given rise to an entirely need of political operative – the jerk. These are petty little people who would never think of speaking out like this in real life. But – hiding behind a username gives all sorts of power.
There will be an Internet pile-on with only half-truth or rumor propelling it. It doesn’t help anyone, especially those doing the piling. Let’s be honest here. Michelle Obama does not hate this country. She’s a liberal. She talks about how her husband has done the hope thing, bringing us to a brighter world. That’s her job. I don’t see any difference in that and what Ann Romney is doing. They’re standing by their man. It’s their job.
Obama is not a socialist. He’s a liberal. He’s not a Muslim. He’s not out to destroy the country any more than George W. Bush was. But – liberals still blame everything on him. It’s political. We need to get a grip and take a time -out once in awhile.
Let’s try being nice to one another, to be civil, to establish the Civility Party. Being a part of it doesn’t indicate you can’t get into a political brawl, just use the Marquis of Queensbury Rules.
- To be a fair stand-up boxing match in a 24-foot ring, or as near that size as practicable.
- No wrestling or hugging (clinching) allowed.
- The rounds to be of three minutes duration, and one minute’s time between rounds.
- If either man falls through weakness or otherwise, he must get up unassisted, 10 seconds to be allowed him to do so, the other man meanwhile to return to his corner, and when the fallen man is on his legs the round is to be resumed and continued until the three minutes have expired. If one man fails to come to the scratch in the 10 seconds allowed, it shall be in the power of the referee to give his award in favour of the other man.
- A man hanging on the ropes in a helpless state, with his toes off the ground, shall be considered down.
- No seconds or any other person to be allowed in the ring during the rounds.
- Should the contest be stopped by any unavoidable interference, the referee to name the time and place as soon as possible for finishing the contest; so that the match must be won and lost, unless the backers of both men agree to draw the stakes.
- The gloves to be fair-sized boxing gloves of the best quality and new.
- Should a glove burst, or come off, it must be replaced to the referee’s satisfaction.
- A man on one knee is considered down and if struck is entitled to the stakes.
- That no shoes or boots with spikes or sprigs be allowed.
- The contest in all other respects to be governed by revised London Prize Ring Rules.
I think you can see how things should be fair. We need to behave fairly and to treat one another decently with our opposition.
It’s just a nice thing to do. I don’t think it is possible to maintain civility with the likes of FOX, MSNBC, Glenn Beck, Rachel Maddow, etc.