The far right is out of its collective mind. Please, pardon The Pink Flamingo as I wax poetic over the absolutely delicious irony that the far right loony county sheriffs are refusing to support the Constitution. This is the same bunch of libertarian far right loons who don’t want taxes raised on the wealthy, but don’t mind a bit taxing the little people into poverty.
Their “Constitutional” sheriffs refuse to uphold the Constitution of the United States. As far right loons, they don’t mind protecting the wealthy over the rights of the poor.
It is beautiful!
Politicus USA had a great headline. If you believe these Right Wing Lies, You Shouldn’t Own a Gun! Try this one:
“...You are not the President. Your children are not being threatened like the President’s children are. Every President’s family requires Secret Service protection as a part of NATIONAL SECURITY (you loved the Homeland when it was ruled by a Republican, what gives, precious patriots?). “After the assassination of President William McKinley in 1901, Congress directed the Secret Service to protect the President of the United States. Protection remains a key mission of the United States Secret Service.”
Please note that the President’s daughters’ school does not have armed guards, no matter what the NRA tells you. “While some news organizations reported that the ad was referencing the Secret Service protection provided to the Obama family — as required by federal law — the longer ad makes it clear that the NRA is specifically referring to the security force at Sidwell Friends.” Also, the President never said he was against armed guards in schools. He said, “I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools.” ONLY. See qualifier. (Do you ever wonder why they lie to you and make you look like a fool for repeating lies?)…”
Here in New Mexico, I’ve seen a report that 30 out of 33 country sheriffs are going to refuse to enforce Obama’s gun control measures, even though they are federal law. Some moron went into a JC Penny in Utah, carrying an unloaded rifle, a loaded Clock, and had a concealed carry permit. Do the people in the store have a right not to be harassed by creeps lie this?
What do you expect, when we have bust head sheriffs like this, and a US Senator who repeats lies on a show hosted by a “Christian” leader who once bought a mailing list from David Duke? You know the type – KKK!
1. Jackson County, Kentucky Sheriff Denny Peyman
2. Linn County, Oregon Sheriff Tim Mueller
3. Madison County, Idaho Sheriff Roy Klingler
4. Crook County, Oregon Sheriff Jim Hensley
5. Douglas County, Oregon Sheriff John Hanlin
6. Curry County, Oregon Sheriff John Bishop
7. Livingston County, Missouri Sheriff Steve Cox
8. Smith County, Texas Sheriff Larry Smith
9. Josephine County, Sheriff Gil Gilbertson
10. Madison Count, Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning
11. Larimer County, Colorado Sheriff Justin Smith
12. Charleston County, South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon
13. Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
14. Houston County, Alabama Sheriff Andy Hughes
15. Gilmer County, Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
16. Pine County, Minnesota Sheriff Robin Cole
17. Grant County, Oregon, Sheriff Glenn Palmer
18. Coos County, Oregon Sheriff Craig Zanni
19. Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Charles Heiss
20. Martin County, Florida Sheriff Bill Snyder
21. Siskiyou County, Califorhia Sheriff Jon Lopey
22. Humboldt County, Nevada Sheriff Ed Kilgpore
23. Stanislaus County, California Sheriff Adam Christianson
24. Grant County, Oregon Sheriff Glenn Palmer
25. Lawrence County, Missouri Sheriff Bard DeLay
26. Shasta County, California Sheriff Tom Bosenko
27. El Dorado County, California Sheriff John D’Agostini
28. Tehama County, California Sheriff David Hencraft
29. Lassen County, California Sheriff Dean Growden
30. Del Norte County, California Sheriff Dean Wilson
31. Modoc County, California Sheriff Mike Poindexter
32. Mendocino County, California Sheriff Thomas Allman
33. Plumas County, California Sheriff Greg Hagwood
34. Humboldt County, California Sheriff Mike Downey
35. Smith County, Texas Sheriff Larry Smith
36. Madison County Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning
37. Charleston County South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon
38. Morgan County Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
39. Houston County Alabama Sheriff Andy Hughes
40. Gilmer County Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
41 Canyon County Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue
42. Fresno County, California Sheriff Margaret Mims
43. Washington County, Oregon Sheriff Pat Garrett
44. Multnomah County, Washington Sheriff Dan Staton
45. Yavapai County, Arizona Sheriff Scott Mascher
46. Boone County, Ohio Sheriff Micahel A. Helmig,
47. Clermont County, Ohio Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg
48. Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
49. Maricopa County, Ariznona Sheriff Joe Arpaio
50. El Paso County, Colorado Sheriff Terry Maketa
51. Weld County, Colorado Sheriff John Cooke
52. Oconee County, Georgia Sheriff Scott Berry
53. Gilmer County, Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
54. Canyon County, Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue
55. Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Frank Denning
56. Mesa County Colorado Sheriff Stan Hilke
57. Collin County Texas Sheriff Terry Box
58. Spartanburg County, South Carolina Sheriff Chuck Wright
There is a little problem with the “constitutional” sheriff’s here. The National Sheriff’s Association has an essay about the legal ramifications of a sheriff’s oath of office.
“...A national survey undertaken by the National Sheriffs’ Association (“Association”) reviewed the current legal status of our nations over 3,000 elected Offices of Sheriff. The research data shows that only 3 states, Alaska, Hawaii and Connecticut, do not have the position of Office/Department of Sheriff. The other 47 states do have an Office of Sheriff, which leads to the question in those 47 states whether or not the Office of Sheriff is deemed to be a “constitutional office”3 created under individual state constitutions.
The data shows that in 33 states the Office of Sheriff is explicitly named in the state constitution. In 13 states the Office of Sheriff is not created by the state constitution but is a created by state statutes.4 This data demonstrates that the Office of Sheriff is a “constitutional officer,”5 in the majority of states; however, in a number of state jurisdictions, particularly states in the Midwest section of our nation, this is not the case.
When the question is raised as to the specific “Oath of Office of Sheriff” taken in each of the 47 states that have traditional Offices/Departments of Sheriff, our Association’s research of individual state constitutions and state statutes reveals that the “oath of office” taken by an elected sheriff in 43 states is the same oath used by all other state and local public officials, including other members of the executive, judicial and legislative branches of government. In short, an individual sheriff’s “oath of office” does not contain any additional or unique language conferring special duties, powers or responsibilities on any Office of Sheriff. As result, an individual sheriff’s oath of office is the same or identical oath of office conferred on and taken by all of these other public local, county and state officials.6While there is no doubt that in many states the Office of Sheriff is deemed to be the chief county law enforcement official with significant and special powers and duties, these additional powers and duties do not derive from the oath of office taken by any individual sheriff.7
The office of the elected sheriff is a time honored tradition that our nation’s sheriffs diligently protect as the Office of Sheriff represents direct democracy through the right of our citizens to choose their local chief law enforcement officer. Our nation’s sheriffs protect their citizens’ individual rights through the elected Office of Sheriff. However, individual sheriffs should not fall into the mythology that any “oath of office” taken by the man or woman who fills the position of sheriff conveys upon that individual any extraordinary powers or duties that are not otherwise set out under the constitutions and laws of the respective states. Furthermore, a sheriff should always perform his or her duties in accordance with the Constitution of the United States as interpreted by the United States Supreme Court…”
Evidently one of the organizations promoting them is tied in with Larry Pratt’s group. Pratt has extensive ties to the Council of Conservative Citizens, which are tied to Stormfront and American Renaissance.
The Pink Flamingo wonders what these patriotic bust heads would do about a situation that is now facing MN Congressman Rick Nolan. Gun rights advocates have threatened he and his family. Do the bust head sheriffs just let those who have rights to carry a gun, allow their rights to supersede a person’s rights not to be shot by one? Does his family have a right not to be terrorized?
Evidently the individual who are refusing to enforce the laws, are not familiar with the duties of their office. We know Sheriff Joe sure doesn’t give a damn about the Constitution. He, and his associates remind The Pink Flamingo of another sheriff, many years ago.
The Pink Flamingo does not wish to cast any aspersions on any loyal and patriotic constitution loving lords high sheriffs, but…. history does have a tradition of making fools of these men. If Sheriff Joe is involved, that is indeed what they are – fools.
It may not be opera, but I do like this piece. It’s on iPod as one of my favorites.
P. S. Isn’t it amazing how The Pink Flamingo manages to get Star Trek into a life-lesson?