Eugenics are a very nasty thing. If you know nothing else about eugenics, just think about Khan Noonien Singh. Eugenics are about creating the perfect human and eliminating anyone who isn’t perfect. The American version of eugenics, that spring from the early part of the past century, resulted in what became known as the Nuremberg Laws. This is what happens when you dabble in eugenics. People die.
I think there are times when we need to sit back and think about who has said what, in the past. So, boys & girls, for today’s version of our game, the following quotes are by one of the following. Please match the name to the quote. Tomorrow, I will publish the answers.
A.) John Tanton
B.) David Duke
C.) Henry H.Laughlin
D.) Margaret Sanger
E.) Heinrich Himmler
F.) Ronald Reagan
G.) J. Philippe Rushton
- “…I wish to take advantage of the present opportunity to point out that the unbalance between the birth rate of the “unfit” and the “fit”, admittedly the greatest present menace to civilization, can never be rectified by the inauguration of a cradle competition between these two classes. In this matter, the example of the inferior classes, the fertility of the feeble-minded, the mentally defective, the poverty-stricken classes, should not be held up for emulation to the mentally and physically fit though less fertile parents of the educated and well-to-do classes. On the contrary, the most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective….”
- “. . .we prefer the policy of immediate sterilization, of making sure that parenthood is ‘ absolutely prohibited ‘ to the feeble-minded….”
- “…While I personally believe in the sterilization of the feeble-minded, the insane and syphilitic, I have not been able to discover that these measures are more than superficial deterrents when applied to the constantly growing stream of the unfit. …”
- “...The Question of race betterment is one of immediate concern, and I am glad to say that the United States Government has already taken certain steps to control the equality of our population through the drastic immigration laws….”
- “…There is only one reply to a request for a higher birth rate among the intelligent, and that is to ask the government to first take off the burdens of the insane and feebleminded from your backs. Sterilization for these is your remedy….”
- “…Let the slums spawn if they must; the prime aim is to goad the upper classes into greater fertility. Both effects are deplorable. There is no greater national waste than the spawning of the slums, with its resultant high maternal and infant mortality rates, child labor and prostitution. As for increasing the fertility of the upper classes, it is certain that the majority of such parents even now have as many children as any rational eugenist could ask them to do were he in possession of all the facts of each case–health, income, educational needs and provision for the future, etc. Admitting that they give birth to fewer children, the fact is that they bring to maturity almost as many, relatively, as the poor succeed in doing….”
- “…We should breed out the feebleminded families who have done and still are doing much social and racial damage. In mental defectiveness they may be classed into four groups– 1.) complete idiots who merely exist, 2.) incomplete idiots with few and rudimentary ideas, 3.) imbeciles with limited and often perverted ideas but capable to being taught to read and write 4.) Weak or feebleminded who can be educated to a varying extent by special methods….”
- “…“We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members”…”
- “…“By all means, there should be no children when either mother or father suffers from such diseases as tuberculosis, gonorrhea, syphilis, cancer, epilepsy, insanity, drunkenness and mental disorders. In the case of the mother, heart disease, kidney trouble and pelvic deformities are also a serious bar to childbearing No more children should be born when the parents, though healthy themselves, find that their children are physically or mentally defective.”…”
- “…”I accepted an invitation to talk to the women’s branch of the Ku Klux Klan…I saw through the door dim figures parading with banners and illuminated crosses…I was escorted to the platform, was introduced, and began to speak…In the end, through simple illustrations I believed I had accomplished my purpose. A dozen invitations to speak to similar groups were proffered.“…”
- “…“Children should not be born to men or women who are insane, feebleminded or have other transmissable diseases. Such individuals, tragic as it may seem, should never become parents. Children born of such parents are likely to inherit the same or similar diseases and thus become a problem not only in schools as the parental guidance is lacking or nil, but create problems in each country. Such children form our army of delinquents and become social burdens, ending their lives in institutions, such as reform schools and Penitentiaries….”
- “…There are 27 states in this U.S.A. whose legislators have been far sighted and fearless enough to provide the cost of sterilization at Government expense in such cases where there is a hereditary disease. Each case is reviewed by a Board of Experts, known as the State Eugenic Board. Patients welcome this helpful protection for themselves, not only feebleminded but men and women known as congenital criminals, apply for this protection before going out on Parole. Over 98% of the 1500 sterilization operations reported in 1949 were on file as both patient or inmate and members of the family had made the application for the operation….”
- “…When we consider the forces already at work among us which as we have seen have set up a strong and ever increasing social machinery for the improvement of the conditions of life and also the forces at work to regard and safeguard the adult man and woman in the home, in the workshop, in the community as well as the health and well being of the child back to its time in the womb. We can see how naturally we are today brought up to those questions of birth control as an instrument of higher breeding and regeneration of the race.The next step will be the effort to breed for those qualities in human beings that are basic principles in any civilization. We may not know yet how to breed for the highest qualities inhuman beings, but certainly we do know how to breed out detrimental qualities, which science tells us are inheritable and transmissible. We can begin with the most obvious and say children should not be born when either parent has a transmissible disease of any kind. To adhere to this single principle alone for one generation would do more to wipe out criminality, prostitution and disease, than all the combined palliative efforts directed by church and state. This could be done by a vigorous educational campaign and a request to those who have such taint to present themselves for consultation. There could then be commissions of authorities to investigate the case and advise according to circumstances either sterilization of methods of contraception.In case of refusal such persons should have a choice of sterilization or isolation. Under no circumstances should the state allow such parents to cast their diseased and demented progeny upon society for the normal and fit to provide for…”
MONDAY EVENING: The answer to all of these is Margaret Sanger. Today, if she presented the above as her resume, she would be damned as a racist, a bigot, and a hater by the SPLC and the people who worship her. Funny how things are, isn’t it?